Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Storing dry dog food

How can we store dry Dog Food for many years without it going rancid? Would buckets with oxygen absorbers do for dog food the same as our freeze & dehydrated foods do for us?

Oxygen-free storage, and store it in a cool area of the house (not a hot garage). Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. You could also vacuum-seal it in FoodSaver bags or canning jars and seal them with a FoodSaver and the jar sealer. Or add an oxygen absorbers to the jar if you don't have a FoodSaver. Use a funnel to fill the jars and make sure any powdery substance is wiped off the lip of the opening before vacuum-sealing. Always check the lids to make sure the seal hasn't broken. I check my vacuum-sealed jars containing food storage the first of each month. That way I know it's only been unsealed a month or less and can reseal it.

You may also want to ask your vet about a homemade mixture you can make in an emergency and test it to see if your pooch likes it. There are recipes that includes a ratio of meat, vegetables and rice (or other grains - but be careful, grains can be bad for some dogs), and you could use home-canned or freeze-dried meat and freeze-dried or dehydrated vegetables (rehydrated) and cooked rice. My sister-in-law made a rice-based dog food for her dog for many years. A recipe suggested by the vet.

I know brown rice doesn't have a long shelf life even with o2 obsorbers etc due to the oil content in the rice. I wonder if its the same for dry dog food. I know hormel canned meats last indefinitely. Perhaps do a mixture of ingredients like GrainLady suggests. I know my dog will eat rice all day, especially if I put grease or someother leftover product on it.

I'd be very careful about storaing dry food. The pet food industray has a terrible track record with continual recalls. Some minor and some that have resulted in undreds if not thousands of deaths. Pet food is not made in USDA ( with 1 exception) facilities. It is made in facilites that have tons of ingrediants stored in open bins and is the leftovers made from not fit for human consumption. Oversight is minimal at best. As such there are lots of problems with bacteria etc. Also the info on moisture content may not be reliable for several reasons. The combination of to much moisture and contaminated ingrediants is not a good mix.

I'm not saying not to do it but to be very careful. I'd get a couple of books and get comfortable with a dogs actual needs and making food myself. One book I would recommend is by Monical Segal - www.monicasegal.com. I would suggest the one titled "K9 Nutrition".

Kathya - I can't even stand the thought of giving my dogs raw meat, even though there is a lot to say about doing that. Yuk. I worry about the dog food issue also, as I have two labs. I can barely keep up with the weekly/biweekly shopping cart for dog food. The prices are outrageous. I do try to get the good name brands, but still......

I have made dog treats, and when I had a previous dog who was sick, I did hamburger, rice and vegies.

I started "doing dog food" about 16 years ago so I guess that it's second nature to me to continually see what is coming to the market. Right now my old guy is 15 1/2 and he likes and seems to do better on canned/kibble with some fresh stuff like eggs and sardines and as I m layed up with a broken knee cap it works just fine for me right now. : )

You don't have to feed raw and most people are not going to. I was really thinking of what I would/will do in a SHTF situation. The book i recommended has both cooked and raw but also gives a good overview of a dogs nutritional needs. Monica Segal is very anal - in a good way but sometimes i do disagree with her. Who'd of thought-eh? I think that I could make a decent dog food using mostly my food storage. I keep extra canned food too. How important it becomes of course depends on how long an emergency lasts.

I would not try to store regular kibble. There have been several companies come to market in the last few years that make dehydrated/FD products and that is what I would buy to augment what i can make myself. You can store extra bags of kibble. Just treat them like you do your storage. Cool, dry, unopened, best used by dates etc.

Sooner or later, I'll vacuum-seal anything that will fit in one of the bags. I tried dry dog food as an experiment. When I opened the bag 6 months later, it smelled a little off to me (like dog food ever smells good?), and when I held it out to my dog (who will eat anything, including rocks) he jumped backwards and just looked at me. Obviously, there was something wrong with it that my eyes & nose couldn't identify. Maybe it was just the unusual circumstance of offering him food out of a bag, but I'm not going to take a chance with his health.

I'd ask a vet or reliable breeder. There are lots of diets available that can be made at home. It may even cost less than trying to store large quantities of kibble.

I found this browsing another site and found this. People who can may find this useful for long term dog food storage.

http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/20...28092660295564

Interesting site. I wonder if she did any kind of calculatons to see what nutrients are in the mix? How much fat? what is the calcium/phos ratio? That one is very important. Look at a bag of kibble and you will see that the first 4 or 5 indgrediants are (hopefully) real food items. After that there is a list of 20 or so vitamin/minerals added. It's because without them the food won't support the animals basic requirements.

This is a link from Christie Keith's old website. She wrote it when home feeding first started getting popular.

http://www.caberfeidh.com/NaturalDiet.htm