Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Greenlightjay: I buy hard white winter wheat (organic) through my local food COOP. I then buy mylar bags, O2 absorbers and new lids from EE and self package. I have the buckets, so save some money this way. If you have a food Coop near you check with them.

Greenlightjay-

I purchase wheat from a local stone mill - $20 / 50#. I purchase the same hard white winter wheat they mill for King Arthur Flour for this region. Just make sure you are getting triple-cleaned wheat intended for human, and not animal, use. I can also get wheat at Wal-Mart in 25# bags - $13.98 (Wheat Montana Wheat - Prairie Gold and Bronze Chief, both excellent wheat for making yeast breads).

Our Walmart doesn't carry bags of wheat. We should have a coop opening in October so can see what they offer. We bought a bag from a local health food store last year and it was full of dirt and rocks, so are not too anxious to experiment. (from Jay's wife - thanks for your suggestions.)

Greenlightjay, you should have silos full of wheat in your area. Have you checked the prices of triple-cleaned wheat in a bag? You'd have to pack it yourself, and take the heightened risk if bug infestation if you don't do a good job, but the price of wheat in your area might make the risk acceptable.

We have plenty of corn and soybeans but no wheat, say, has anyone tried the Artificially Flavored Imitation Sausage Textured Vegetable Protein from EE?

Jay, I have. It's OK, good with scrambled eggs.

Jay, the sausage is my least favorite. It is good in scrambled eggs, and I like the flavor better than the ham or bacon. It's a little disappointing, though, because I haven't found another use for it yet, as compared to the beef and chicken that we use regularly in a variety of dishes. If you don't eat a lot of eggs or breakfast casseroles, I'd skip the sausage for now and go for one of the others.

Thanks for the advice. We looked at the Morning Moo's with all the weird ingredients and think we'll just get the powdered milk from EE.

I've also sat and figured out the price per ounce and compared it with what you can buy it for at the grocery stores. The first item I ever did that with was the dried onion and found out it was cheaper to buy EEs then anywhere else I've found overall. And the quality of EEs is better then any other I've found!

Quote Originally Posted by SingleMom View Post
    Jay, the sausage is my least favorite. It is good in scrambled eggs, and I like the flavor better than the ham or bacon. It's a little disappointing, though, because I haven't found another use for it yet, as compared to the beef and chicken that we use regularly in a variety of dishes. If you don't eat a lot of eggs or breakfast casseroles, I'd skip the sausage for now and go for one of the others.
    Have you tried making sausage gravy with it? Or lasagna or spaghetti sauce?