Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Does anybody have a Heat Activated Woodburner Fan?

We're thinking about getting one of those heat activated fans that sit on a woodburner and was wondering if they are worth the investment??? The reviews on them were pretty good but would appreciate your imput, thanks!

I to would also like to know. I have been looking into this and a heat exchanger. I would be curious if you could make a fan, it has a heat sensor that senses the heat and turns the fan. Would a heat exchanger put more heat into the room than a fan? I have a small 2 burner stove, I'm looking for maximun heat output.

Well, we sent the fan back! It was just a two blade and I was told in another forum that a three blade works so much better! I was also told not to get the one that attaches to the flue, they are a fire hazard! When I find a 3 blade, I will keep you posted!

Yes, I have an EcoFan. They don't move air like an electric operated fan would. The rising heat off the stove top overpowers the forward movement. This is due to keeping the fan on the back of the stove, where it moves cooler air across itself to cool the top. They work off a thermocouple principal where you have a hot side on the bottom, and cooling fins on th etop for temp differential. Setting one near the front where it would pick up heat off the stove would not allow it to cool the top, loosing voltage and speed.
    I have a stove in the center of a large kitchen as the sole heat source in a 1850 sf home. And the frige is 8 feet behind the stove. Milk will go sour in two days if the air movement isn't away from the fridge. I designed a baffle inside the stove to direct more heat to the stove top than the rear elbow, so that took care of 90% of the rearward directed heat.
    The fan IS a good indicator of how much fire you have without opening the door. The speed it's turning in the morning is a good indication of how many coals are left, and if you have to tend to the fire right away, or if it can wait.
    I was in the heating business, and now collect stoves, so I've gotten a few with stoves I've bought used. We have a antique ice box used as a kitchen cabinet, so in longer power outages this would be used in the winter when ice is pletiful. It takes 3 of these fans to move the heat away from it.

Here's a video showing a couple different fans;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6AvXqnJzjk
    I replied yesterday, am new, and am moderated, so maybe this one will post. Lots of good info in my first post on the topic. ??