Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question How to clean/treat 275 gallon water containers???

Today I found 275 gallon plastic storage containers for sale on craigslist for a very reasonable price. The fellow selling them said they have been cleaned out (they held a vegetable based coolant, I was told). The first time I asked him, he said they were not food grade, only to back peddle later and say he "thought they might be" food grade.

I don't know that I would want these for drinkable water storage (or that it would even be a smart idea, given what they had in them), but I guess I am wondering if I would need to wash them out before storing water for bathing, the garden, etc?? Do I need to treat the water for the purposes of cleaning, gardening, bathing?

275 water.jpg
    Last edited by preppingwife67; 10-09-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added picture; other

I would not use them to even store water for garden. Chemicals are imbedded into the plastic, no matter how well they are cleaned. Walk away from this "deal". They aren't safe. Please save your money and purchase food safe containers. You answered your own question when you said this guy was changing his mind, saying he thought they were food grade. Trust me, they are not and never will be.

Among our collection of rain barrels, we have 6 recycled 50-gallon food-grade barrels we purchased at a farm supply store (you can find a wide variety of sizes and shapes of containers, including food-grade, at farm supply stores). These barrels once held some kind of pickled food product, and after using a degreaser in them, soda water, and power-washing each year for 5-years, they still smell like whatever was originally in them each time you open the barrels.

I agree with whisper... Any type of fat/oil substance originally stored in used containers will not just sit on the surface waiting for a good soak in Dawn Detergent to remove it, these fats/oils actually bond with plastic. This same thing happens when people use recycled milk jugs or plastic buckets that once held frosting. They never can completely remove all the milk fat or fat from the frosting, and under the right conditions, the fat bonded to the plastic will go rancid and can affect the taste of whatever you have stored in the jug.

I have a variety of storage containers purchased from farm supply stores for our outdoor rain barrels. If I had to use them for drinking water I would have to run it through the Berkey or distill it before drinking it. Food-grade containers are used for water storage indoors. We use 5-gallon and 3-gallon jugs (BPA-Free) for that (as well as any recycled plastic bottles - juice, pop/soda, etc.). We've found larger containers than 5-gallon jugs are too difficult to store and use from - but that's our personal experience. In fact, if I had it to do all over again, we would only have 3-gallon jugs and the assortment of used containers - which are easy to store in a lot of places (behind the sofa, up the side of a closet, etc.). Three-gallon jugs are a lot easier to lift, move, use-from, and refill. We have all our 3- and 5-gallon jugs on water bottle racks.

Thank you for the replies. I passed up the "deal". Considering the limits we'd have on what we could use them for, they aren't really the great "deal" afterall.
    Last edited by preppingwife67; 10-10-2011 at 09:38 PM.

if the price is right.....toilet flushing would be worth the investment....how much were they asking?
    Cause and effect......Cause is over....Brace for effect....I prep.....what you do to brace yourself.....is at your discretion. But for those who don't prep.....I prep for you....in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    if the price is right.....toilet flushing would be worth the investment....how much were they asking?

$50.00 each. He has a quantity of 10 however and offered me a discount if I buy 3 or more. I don't think we're going to worry about toilet flushing though. With all the acreage we have, we have plenty of places to bury what the enzymes don't take care of.
    Last edited by preppingwife67; 10-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by preppingwife67 View Post
    $50.00 each. He has a quantity of 10 however and offered me a discount if I buy 3 or more. I don't think we're going to worry about toilet flushing though. With all the acreage we have, we have plenty of places to bury what the enzymes don't take care of.
    That's a good price....I was giving $200 for 3 the last time I bought some....but they were used for detergent for dairy lines...and were food grade.
    Cause and effect......Cause is over....Brace for effect....I prep.....what you do to brace yourself.....is at your discretion. But for those who don't prep.....I prep for you....in a different way.