Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Does it really pay to shop at Sam's Club?

Until now I have resisted the urge to get a membership and shop at Sam's Club. I hate the idea of having to pay a fee to shop someplace to save money. (Seems like an oxymoron, doesn't it)? lol

Anyways, today I was browsing around for a 55 gal BPA free water barrel; couldn't find any locally at any of our hardware/home improvement stores, and there's not a costco around us within several hundred miles.

So, I went to the site for Sam's and they have them for $69.88, with the siphon hose and water treatment (Costco's was $109.00, I noticed on their site).

I really want a few of these, but of course, have to buy a membership and figured if that's the case, I could get a lot of other things there to stock up on, that I don't necessarily find at Aldi's.

So....for those of you that have or have had memberships, do you think it is worth the initial $40.00 investment?

I am not sold on these warehouse stores either. I let my Costco membership go about 3 years ago and never looked back. Until my friend bought me a membership the other day as a gift for us watching her kids while she was giving birth to the third. I almost groaned. My theory with these places is that yes, some of it is much cheaper, some of it is exactly the same and some of it is actually more expensive. Plus I found I bought things I never normally would because they were so neat. Thus today was my first shopping day there after 3 years and I only allowed myself to purchase things I KNEW were cheaper than Wal-mart. I wrote down the ones that looked like a deal to check at my Wal-Mart later. You can save "some" money if you are willing to invest the time to research and can control yourself while you are in there, but otherwise you could actually be paying someone to let you shop somewhere that actually doesn't save you a dime. JMHO

-GG

PS If you know someone with a membership, just go with them and pay them back for what you buy and write down all the prices of things you would buy and price compare before you spring for the membership.

But now looking at Sam's, you can still purchase online as a guest with only a 10% upcharge. They barrels are a great deal even with the 10% upcharge. I say go for it!

-GG

We have Costco here but not Sam's club. I didn't even know until recently that Sam's club was a membership warehouse. I go to Costco once a year or so with a friend and while they some nice stuff I don't find that it is any cheaper. That may be different depending on what you eat/use. I looked online at Sam's club for some of my lon term supplies. They carry a lot of the Auguson products and it the same or cheaper to buy from Augusons.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGirl View Post
    But now looking at Sam's, you can still purchase online as a guest with only a 10% upcharge. They barrels are a great deal even with the 10% upcharge. I say go for it!

-GG
    Ohhhh! I hadn't noticed that! Even with the 10% upcharge, you still can't beat that with a stick. lol. Thank you.

I have a Sams membership. The only things I purchase there is Purina Dog Chow, 50#'s for 21.48, and Clorox Bleach 3 pack and Dehydrated food online. The dehydrated food is a savings, their #10 cans are 2 for the price listed. It pays for me because I save on the dog food, cheaper than Walmart and Costco does not have Purina. I shop around for best prices between Aldi, Ultra Foods and I have a membership to Restaurant Depot , I can get Coconut Oil in a 5 gallon bucket for 71.48, and split it with my friend.
    You have to watch your prices at Sams and Costco, many things aren't at a savings. The best thing to do is go online and look at what each has and compare prices with them and stores where you normally shop. I personally don't think any store is a one stop shop.

I agree with you all. I live in an area with a super Walmart, Safeway, and Albertson's. I have a membership to Sam's Club over the summit divide 50 miles. I find that I only shop at Sam's when I need to go over to Home Depot or Lowe's.
    Wish Sam's was closer, as I enjoy using many of thier 2 and 3 pack combos. Also find many good prices for the growing needs each spring and fall closeout. Like you folks, I don't think the membership justifies a special trip.

It really depends on what you buy.....food....yes.....cleaners....no.....

You really have to shop them.....or you will loose money.
    Cause and effect......Cause is over....Brace for effect....I prep.....what you do to brace yourself.....is at your discretion. But for those who don't prep.....I prep for you....in a different way.

I agree with the general consensus that it depends on what you are buying. They have the cheapest 25 and 50lb bags of rice that I've ever seen, but not everything is cheaper.

The reason that I shop there though isn't the price so much. I can get things there easily that are a pain elsewhere. For example my husband can drink a whole case of Gatorade in two days, especially in the summer. Buying 20 individual bottles at the grocery store is a nightmare. I can get two or three cases, arrange online for in store pickup, and then all I have to do is go into the store, pay for it, and load it in the car--they will even load it for you, if you ask for help. I adore the fact that they will pull your whole order for you and have it waiting. I hate shopping, so I just pick everything online and take the hassle out of it.

I live 2 miles from a Costco and 8 from a Sam's club. I favor Costco, and am at a point where I can use their AmEx card enough for it to pay for my membership, I'm currently doing a price comparison book, and I have found that Costco is cheaper for many things that I buy. I buy a lot of my weekly groceries there, like milk, bread, eggs (5 dozen lasts us 4-6 weeks). I buy cases of canned goods every now and then, vitamins, peanut butter, crackers, Oreos (I limit myself to 1 sleeve a month though, so one box lasts me 10-11 months) and a billion other things. Also, books, movies, and cookbooks are all at a better price there than any where else. I shop with Costco's coupons as well, which help me save even more. I figure that if what I am spending there is enough to qualify for the AmEx to pay for its self, I may as well. Sometimes, we even buy gift cards there for restaurants ($75 or $80 for $100 worth of gift cards), and use those to give as wedding gifts, or to use for special celebrations (graduating from college, getting a great job, anniversary of the day we got engaged, etc). I know some people don't think Costco is worth the investment, but it depends on what kind of shopper you are. I am at a point where it is important to get high/really good quality products at good prices, and Costco is one of the best places for that. Also, I am pretty particular at shopping around, and bring a price book with me each time to ensure I'm buying things for the right price.