Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-7 View Post
    Most of the Army National Guard Full Time Support (FTS) folks that I know are tied up with flood duty right now. I really did not think of it, but stockpiling MREs during hurricane season is a prudent idea. It is a shame, but distrust of the government is so high, everyone seems so quick to suspect that something fishy is going on. I will keep after them, though. In the mean time, I will probably continue to purchase MREs, even though many survival "experts" say that they are NOT a good idea.
    You're right there is still a ton of flood clean up to be done, and a fair number of people's homes are still under water here in PA. I really hope that you have the right idea, and the military is stocking up because they realize that they've been under prepared in previous hurricane seasons. They definitely could have used more MREs at the Superdome. I hope that we learned from Katrina, Hugo, and all the other big hurricanes, and are better prepared in the future.

I wonder if the recent bout of "the police and military are out to get us" paranoia is due to the elections, even if they are a year away. I seem to remember it being the same before the last election, something about that possible time of instability, where you have a change in leadership, seems to worry people, regardless of the fact that we've been doing it this way for decades. I think the anniversary of 911 is making people unnecessarily nervous too.

When we had the 3 State Active Duty missions for the snowstorms in 2007 (14 FEB, 16 MAR & 15 APR 07), we had pallets of MREs stacked on the drill floor of the armory, plus stacks of bottle water cases. When there is a crisis or emergency, the supplies were readily on hand.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyFleeger82 View Post
    You're right there is still a ton of flood clean up to be done, and a fair number of people's homes are still under water here in PA. I really hope that you have the right idea, and the military is stocking up because they realize that they've been under prepared in previous hurricane seasons. They definitely could have used more MREs at the Superdome. I hope that we learned from Katrina, Hugo, and all the other big hurricanes, and are better prepared in the future.

I wonder if the recent bout of "the police and military are out to get us" paranoia is due to the elections, even if they are a year away. I seem to remember it being the same before the last election, something about that possible time of instability, where you have a change in leadership, seems to worry people, regardless of the fact that we've been doing it this way for decades. I think the anniversary of 911 is making people unnecessarily nervous too.
    I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the election or 9/11. A lot of questionable things seem to be happening at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by akgirl View Post
    I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the election or 9/11. A lot of questionable things seem to be happening at the same time.
    Much as I hate to agree with AKgirl on this issue I think she is right.
    Robert W
    "The Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not." -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy6685 View Post
    Oh great idea I never thought of that but come to think of it I remember a lady years ago that worked with my mom back in the late 70's that use to cook her supper in the back window of her car . She kind of sealed it off with aluminum foil and did this most sunny days as I remember
    Robert W
    I've heated MREs cheese packets on the back deck of a car. Tried to heat the main packet too, but it reached a vaguely disgusting blood temp and stopped there. I'd rather have something hot or cold.

Quote Originally Posted by cat-herder View Post
    I've heated MREs cheese packets on the back deck of a car. Tried to heat the main packet too, but it reached a vaguely disgusting blood temp and stopped there. I'd rather have something hot or cold.
    I agree . Give it to me hot ot cold but not blood warm .
    Robert W
    "The Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not." -Thomas Jefferson

always used the drop in boiling water method personally