Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Natural, Herbal, Cholesterol Medication

I'm looking for a natural, herbal, etc. answer to treating cholesterol (bad cholesterol, LDL). Someone has suggested garlic. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've heard that okra and eggplant both, help, too, but it may only be rumor.

Fish oil and red yeast rice are two of the best natural ways to reduce cholesterol. You can get them in a supplement store. It's hard to do it just with food, but taking the supplements is still a more natural way than one of the prescription medications.

There are good studies supporting consuming pecans and walnuts and cholesterol.
    Cholesterol-Lowering Pecans

(http://www.ilovepecans.org/nutrition.html#cholesterol)
    Pecans also play a role in lowering cholesterol. Clinical research published in the Journal of Nutrition (September 2001) compared the Step I diet (28 percent fat), recommended by the American Heart Association for individuals with high cholesterol levels, to a pecan-enriched (40 percent fat) diet. The results showed the pecan-enriched diet lowered total cholesterol by 11.3 percent and LDL “bad” cholesterol levels by 16.5 percent – twice that of the Step I diet, without any associated weight gain.

Research conducted by Dr. Ronald Eitenmiller at the University of Georgia has also confirmed that pecans contain plant sterols, which are known for their cholesterol-lowering ability.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has acknowledged this and related research and approved the following qualified health claim: “Scientific evidence suggests, but does not prove, that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as pecans, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease.”

Exercise and anything that reduces inflammation. But you have to ask yourself why you have high cholesterol in the first place. High LDL isn't actually the problem. As I understand it LDL is a carrier protein identical to HDL, just that LDL carries cholesterol to the cells and HDL carries it back to the liver for reprocessing after the cell has used it. If you have LDL that is proportionately higher than the HDL then you have problems at a cellular level as cells are demanding more cholesterol for maintenance and repair than its sending back and you need to look to improve your overall health. This isn't going to happen by just taking a supplement or two.

Many people with high cholesterol have an underlying thyroid problem. Many docs only do a very cursory assessment and ignore symptoms when a single blood test comes back in the normal range. I had hypothyroid symptoms for 40 odd years before I managed to find someone who new a little more about it and prescribed natural thyroid. It has solved a huge range of problems including reducing my LDL. Usually one must have a doctor's prescription for thyroid, but there is a little known supplemental form available than doesn't need a script. You can get it from http://robymitchell.com/store/produc...products_id=70 - and no, I have no financial connection with Dr Mitchell or his site.

However anyone who has thyroid issues or who is looking for healing should consider exploring his site. His is a qualified doctor who chooses to work at healing. He himself has recovered from stage 4 prostate cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
    Exercise and anything that reduces inflammation. But you have to ask yourself why you have high cholesterol in the first place. High LDL isn't actually the problem. As I understand it LDL is a carrier protein identical to HDL, just that LDL carries cholesterol to the cells and HDL carries it back to the liver for reprocessing after the cell has used it. If you have LDL that is proportionately higher than the HDL then you have problems at a cellular level as cells are demanding more cholesterol for maintenance and repair than its sending back and you need to look to improve your overall health. This isn't going to happen by just taking a supplement or two.

Many people with high cholesterol have an underlying thyroid problem. Many docs only do a very cursory assessment and ignore symptoms when a single blood test comes back in the normal range. I had hypothyroid symptoms for 40 odd years before I managed to find someone who new a little more about it and prescribed natural thyroid. It has solved a huge range of problems including reducing my LDL. Usually one must have a doctor's prescription for thyroid, but there is a little known supplemental form available than doesn't need a script. You can get it from http://robymitchell.com/store/produc...products_id=70 - and no, I have no financial connection with Dr Mitchell or his site.

However anyone who has thyroid issues or who is looking for healing should consider exploring his site. His is a qualified doctor who chooses to work at healing. He himself has recovered from stage 4 prostate cancer.
    Thank you for this information, Harriet. My husband has had hypothyroidism for 10+ years and been on Synthroid for just as long, with absolutely no change in his thyroid levels. Recently he went back for his annual check up and was told his cholesterol levels are "horrible". Dose of synthroid was increased (again), but he's at the point of frustration and refuses to take it any longer.

This may very well be what he needs!

I did not tolerate fish oil well, even enteric coated. I have been put on flax seed oil 1000mg 2x daily (supposed to be 3), polichol red 2 twice daily & CoQMax 1 twice daily. This regime has brought my HDL/LDL ratios in the normal range since they were first tested at age 27.

JuliaC, who put you on these supplements? Not a doctor, right?

greenlightjay, I go to a Pharm.D who is also a CCN (certified clinical nutritionist & doctor of pharmacy). He actively works as a pharmacist. Since he is a Pharm.D, the physcians are more willing to work with him. My physcian orders the labs he requests & any prescription meds I need as he is not licensed to order labs or to prescribe.