Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Root Cellar in Deep South

I would like a root cellar, but we live in the deep south. What is the best way to have a root cellar that would stay cool when the temp is 110 degrees outside. Also, our water table is quite high. We have purchased a couple of window units to keep food storage area in the house cool. We have a generator that would keep them running, but I would still like an alternate method of keeping things cool.

I am going to try to build a root cellar some time next year if the world holds together till then . I have found several wonderful books on the subject on e-bay that were quit cheap . I too live in the south and it is quit hot here but I remember when I was very young going down in a root cellar that an old man neighbor had and it was so cold down there . So I think it will work here now as well . I hope after winter to buy a backhoe to go on my tractor and then try to build it in the spring .Oh I also found some really great plains for them on line .
    Anyway I hope that helps
    Robert W
    "The Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not." -Thomas Jefferson

I too would be interested in anyone who has experience of root cellars in hot/desert conditions. We get weeks over 85 F, sometimes weeks over 100 F and everything gets so hot. I worry about plastic water containers leaching poisons into my emergency water supplies in the heat over time.

Webfrogs your problem is compounded by a high water table. The only way you could put something in would be by making sure it was waterproof - like a swimming pool only keeping water out rather than keeping it in. We had a friend who built this way. He put both a pool and an underground cellar. The cellar was great as it was behind a hidden door and even if you knew where the door was you had to go into another room to release the catch - it would have been almost impossible to get in, barring bashing the wall/door down. It was set up as a wine cellar and even had a urinal in the corner!

I am digging the hole and footer for my root cellar tomorrow if all goes as planned .
    Robert W
    "The Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not." -Thomas Jefferson

Geothermal facts

Quote Originally Posted by webfrogs View Post
    I would like a root cellar, but we live in the deep south. What is the best way to have a root cellar that would stay cool when the temp is 110 degrees outside. Also, our water table is quite high. We have purchased a couple of window units to keep food storage area in the house cool. We have a generator that would keep them running, but I would still like an alternate method of keeping things cool.
    Hi,

I had been looking into geothermal heating/cooling earlier but it is WAY too expensive. However, one thing I learned is that about 6' under the ground the earths temperature is the same no matter where you live. Here is some info from a site discussing how geothermal works. Hope this is helpful to you.
    Shirl

"From Montana's minus 70 degree temperature, to the highest temperature ever recorded in the U.S. - 134 degrees in Death Valley, California, in 1913 - many parts of the country experience seasonal temperature extremes. A few feet below the earth's surface, however, the ground remains at a relatively constant temperature. Although the temperatures vary according to latitude, at six feet underground, temperatures range from 45 degrees to 75 degrees Fahrenheit."

I had been looking into geothermal heating/cooling which turned out to be WOW expensive, but did find out this information about the heat retention of the earth about 6'
    down. The following quote is from a geothermal site.

"From Montana's minus 70 degree temperature, to the highest temperature ever recorded in the U.S. - 134 degrees in Death Valley, California, in 1913 - many parts of the country experience seasonal temperature extremes. A few feet below the earth's surface, however, the ground remains at a relatively constant temperature. Although the temperatures vary according to latitude, at six feet underground, temperatures range from 45 degrees to 75 degrees Fahrenheit."

So anyone anywhere can have a root cellar.

Hope this helps.
    Shirl

Good luck Robert----take pictures and keep us in touch.

I went inside a crypt outside New Orleans once on a hundred-degree, 95% humidity day. It was cool in there. Not cave cool, but cooler than deep shade outside. The mosquitoes hit me hard enough to leave connecting spots all over my arms, neck, face, and the backs of my legs...oh, was I miserable.

It was a cement block room about 5x7, with several feet of dirt on each side (apart from the door) and about a foot and a half of dirt on the roof. There was a very small vent through the roof in the back.

Here is a link to the book "Build your own underground Root Cellar". Gets good reviews and only $3.95. Best info for the north half of country though.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-und...0&pageNumber=2

Thanks Shirl-----may just order that puppy.