Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keep Stored Water from Freezing

I'm considering buying one of those large 300 gallon water tanks to store water in at my property. I'm creating a gravity fed system by putting this on a raised platform and then feeding down to our cabin.

My problem is that I can't figure out how I'm going to keep the water from freezing in the winter. I've thought about building an enclosed box frame and insulating but I'm not sure if insulation is enough to keep me liquid. I've thought about heat tape but that's a lot of heat tape to buy and a lot of electricity to keep it going.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks!

I saw an elderly couple that had a elevated tank over their wood cook stove for their hot water.
    they used a generator on their well to fill it.
    if possible, one could put the insulated inclosure right next to the cabin and vent enough heat to
    keep it from freezing
    Last edited by JAY; 08-02-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks Jay! Unfortunately, this will be outside - there's no way to avoid that.

You might want to take a look at this web page. It talks about using insulation and solar heating to keep a stock tank from freezing.

Bazooka Joe - thanks a bunch... This is what I was looking for. Have you had any experience with one of these?

To add to the link Bazooka Joe posted... Mother Earth had a good article on how to build a solar stock tank - http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it...-z10m0gri.aspx that could be adapted for winter use.

Small solar heat exchanger....not hard to build.
    Cause and effect......Cause is over....Brace for effect....I prep.....what you do to brace yourself.....is at your discretion. But for those who don't prep.....I prep for you....in a different way.

Glacier chaser: How about this (don't know at -60 degrees though)----Build and insulate the the platform with 2x6 frame---insulate with 6 inches fiberglass backed-batts---put a 6 mil plastic vapor barrier on the inside and cover with 1/2 inch OSB. Then insulate and heat the water line to the house with Frostex cable. For the plastic tank set a cap block or two on the bottom and set a stock tank heater with a thermostat on the blocks. Works for us in Wyoming to keep the livestock watered at those temps.

Thanks Grainlady - this looks like a great article.

Beammaker - this may be the simplest idea yet. I already planned to build a box around and insulate floor walls and the top (everywhere except the small opening). All I need then is a $25 stock tank heater and some heat tape for the line to the cabin. Sounds simple enough - then in the spring, when I have more time, I can experiment with the solar idea...