Register

Welcome to the Be Prepared Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Suggestions on how to get family members to prepare for emergecies...

Hello. I am looking for books, articles, or links on how to convince family members to embrace disaster preparedness.

Anyone got any ideas?

Anything would help.

Thanks

Will

The book...."One Second After".....or "Lights Out"

I would say to very carefully gauge the family/friends/coworkers/etc you are planned on addressing the topic of prepping to before you approach them. Most people fall into one of four categories when they are faced with this kind of thing. The two undesired categories are as follows:

1. Denial- They'll read "One Second After" or "Lights Out" or "The Road" or any number of other survivalist/TEOTWAWKI literature and scoff, stating, "Nothing like that will ever happen. We have too many safeguards in place to allow something like that to occur." They usually also state, "Those preppers are kooky survival right wing nuts that are planning to live in caves and wait for the end of the world."
    2. Negative Hopelessness- They'll read the same literature, but the response will be "If something like that is going to happen, I'd rather be one of the ones that die off than have to live with that kind of hopelessness." I think this is the hardest group to reach.
    3. Positive Hopelessness- They read the lit, and the response is, "Wow, we need to prepare too, but that's just sooo much work done and the end of the world could be any second. There's no way we can be prepared in time for anything. It's so overwhelming!"
    4. Positive Assertive- They read and say, "Wow, I'd never looked at it like that, but now I understand." or "Ya know, I've seen some other articles that kinda talked about that and I thought it might be something to do, but I didn't know any one else felt that way so I was always afraid of being that 'weird guy/gal'"

I would suggest point out articles about rising food and oil costs, struggling economy, gov't sluggishness in responding to disasters, etc and kinda feel them out. Point it out and ask their take on it..."Hey Bill did you see that article on XYZ.com the other day talking about how much food prices are going to sky rocket in the next couple years? Things are tough enough as it is, what do you make of it?" And then using the answers you get from those you should be able to determine which category they will fall in.

For each category, obviously the approach is going to have to be much more subtle. For those in Denial or Negative Hopelessness, I would say maybe point them in the direction of Orson Scott Card's "Empire" and "Hidden Empire". They're less prepper and more "fragile state of politics and affairs" in the US. Card is an incredible writer, and I think he is definitely a 'thinking book' author. Those are less individual impact as they are a general bird's eye view of things. And continue the occasional articles here and there. If you can find more mainstream articles, the better the impact, because an article from Mother Earth News is not going to hold much water to them as compared to something from CNN or Time, etc.

With the Positive Hopeless, give them the stories and let it sink in, then when they 'panic', guide them to sites that have very basic, simple to follow prepping starter plans. Explain to them they don't have to drop $10,000 on food, guns, and ammo all at once. Explain to them how to start with a 2 week food/water supply, shop frugally, start a garden, little things here and there to cut costs. These are the ones that need the most patient guidance to prevent them from giving up.

And with the Positive Assertive, simply shake their hands, share website bookmarks, and set up the next time y'all can go target practice!

I thought that Emergency: This book will save your life was an excellent, straight forward read. It's written by a journalist who after 911 and Katrina decided that he should look into being a little more prepared. It outlines his discoveries as he goes through the process of preparing to stay home without services and coming up with a bug out location (he gets dual citizenship).

Throughout the book he keeps a very rational point of view that is unlikely to scare off skeptics, and he has a great sense of humor too. I recommend it over the fiction books, in terms of trying to convince someone, because it's based on fact and logic, and it's not a scare tactic. The author explains in the first couple of chapters his own reasons for being prepared and his argument is a good one.

If you don't know what they are thinking about preparedness, I think it's always good to start with asking them about preparedness for local disasters. In the southeast, you've got hurricanes, storms and tornadoes. In the midwest, the possibility of a Madrid earthquake, flooding, winter storms, tornadoes. In the northeast, flooding, hurricanes, storms, tornadoes, winter storms. West coast has earthquakes, storms, tsunami and so forth. If you're not sure, you can lookup (google it) the "all hazards mitigation plan" for the city/county/state where they live and see what it lists as potential disasters. Get them prepared for something that they know can and does happen, even if it only to be prepared a week or two. Then you can build from there.